Te Papa is a great place for young learners! Come and experience the stories of New Zealand over five floors of fascinating exhibitions.
Early Childhood programmes
Make the most of your Early Years visit by booking a guided education programme, led by one of our experienced educators. These programmes:
- are activity-based, hands-on, and fun
- give you access to Te Papa collections and unique stories
- incorporate bicultural learning objectives and can be offered in te reo Māori
- can be adapted to meet your group specific learning needs and areas of interest
General programme information
- Programmes cost $3 per student and are 45 mins long, unless otherwise stated
- There is a minimum charge of $45 for up to 15 students.
- Our programmes are supported by pre-visit and post-visit learning activities that you can do in the classroom
- We will also provide you with self-guided learning activities that you and parent helpers can lead in the museum to enhance learning
Spend a magical time in StoryPlace!
A special part of Te Papa where preschool children (12 month - 5 years), together with their caregivers, explore museum-related themes through play and make-believe.
We're excited by developments in Early Childhood Education and are reflecting these with child-led and activity based sessions, facilitated by a trained StoryPlace host. And to top it all off, all the stories and songs we love now round out the end of each and every session.
Visit the StoryPlace website for information about pricing, session times and programmes.
Teacher Previews and Professional Development
Early Years Blog
Te Papa’s Early Years blog looks at how our museum can be used as a learning resource by young learners (0-8 years) and their teachers, as well as best practice. It provides an excellent opportunity for us to share with you, but also for you to share with each other.
Share your stories!
How do you use our museum as a learning resource? What do you find to be best practice? Why are museum and gallery experiences important for your tamariki (children)?
Contact Rebecca Browne, Early Childhood Educator if you have a story you would like to share on Te Papa's Early Years blog.
What's on - events
From puppet shows to storytelling and Hairy Maclary Hunts too, we have a variety of events for 0-8 year olds.
Upcoming public events