Digitisation for Preservation and Access
1 November 2013
, 9am - 4:30pm
Auditorium, Toitū Otago Settlers Museum, 31 Queens Garden
$20 pay on the day
Please note this workshop is now fully booked.
A National Services Te Paerangi workshop giving representatives from small museums, art galleries and iwi organisations the opportunity to learn more about digital preservation using photography.
This will cover:
The workshop will introduce attendees to the building blocks of good photography which are essential skills for digital preservation of museum materials and taonga.
- Digitisation methods - achievable for small museums
- Looking at light, learning to ‘read’ light and how it interacts with different surfaces
- Understanding images - portraiture and landscape
- Lighting and photographing museum materials - flat copy, 3D, glazed and shiny objects
- Storage - archiving and retrieval of images, long term access
- Understanding image types and resolution
- Workflow - how to tackle larger projects.
This workshop will also include a demonstration of deframing, safe handling and storage techniques from an experienced conservator.
Who will I meet?
- The workshop will be facilitated by professional Te Papa photographer Michael Hall
- Dunedin Public Art Gallery conservator Jenny Sherman will give a deframing and handling demonstration and Gore District Council Heritage Projects Officer, David Luoni will discuss an in-progress digitisation project
- You will also meet other museum personnel in your region – a great networking opportunity!
Who is it for?
- This is an introductory level workshop which gives representatives from small museums, art galleries and iwi organisations the opportunity to learn, share ideas and ask more about digitisation of collection objects using photography
- This workshop has a focus on digitisation of portraits and photographs.
How do I sign up?
- Please note this workshop is now fully booked.
- We may be able to run a second workshop if there is sufficient interest. To be placed on the waiting list please complete the registration form by clicking on the registration button below.
- If you have any questions, please contact National Services Te Paerangi - firstname.lastname@example.org or freephone: 0508 NSTP HELP (0508 678 743)
- Please register by Friday 18 October 2013 to guarantee a place
- The cost of this workshop is $20 to be paid on the day
What do I need to bring?
- To get the most out of the day, you may wish to bring a digital camera (and the manual if you have one), a couple of photographs to use in hands-on exercises and a laptop computer.
- If you don’t have access to the above, please just bring yourself!
What else do I need to know?
- Bring your lunch (morning & afternoon tea will be provided)
- Please be aware that your photo may be taken during the workshop, and photos may be used for National Services Te Paerangi purposes.