Maori in Museums workshop
7-8 October 2014
, 9am - 4pm
Brevet Lounge, Air Force Museum, 45 Harvard Ave, Wigram
Free to attend
This National Services Te Paerangi workshop is provided in collaboration with ServiceIQ to assist trainees and museum staff to understand the role of Māori in museums.
This will cover:
ServiceIQ Unit Standard: 20545 Demonstrate knowledge of Māori in museums
Day 1: (9am – 4pm) Māori in Museums workshop
- The responsibilities and obligations of museums in regards to the Treaty of Waitangi
- Contemporary Māori social structures and concepts and how these impact on museum practice
- How Māori cultural customs can be woven into museum customer service
- How Māori cultural customs can be woven into collection services, processes and public programmes.
Day 2: Assessment of above unit standard.
- Attendance only required by those enrolled as an ServiceIQ trainee.
- Trainees who are being assessed will need to be available for an 1 hour slot with one of the assessors to complete this unit standard.
- Assessment times will be scheduled at the end of the workshop on Day 1.
Who will I meet?
- Kylie Ngaropo is Manager Iwi Development for National Services Te Paerangi . Kylie has iwi affiliations to Te Rarawa, Tūhoe, Ngāti Porou and Ngāti Kahungunu iwi. Kylie is a ServiceIQ assessor and through her work with iwi and communities across New Zealand has supported them through the provision of strategic and practical advice and training to care for taonga in their museums and tribal regions.
- You will also meet other museum personnel in your region – a great networking opportunity!
Who is it for?
- This is an introductory level workshop which gives ServiceIQ trainees and representatives from small museums, art galleries, heritage organisations and iwi organisations a great opportunity to learn more about the role of Māori in museums.
- NB: If you are completing the ServiceIQ assessment on day two, you will need to be familiar with the content and concepts in the unit workbook before attending this session.
How do I sign up?
- Register online by clicking the registration button below.
- Please register by Monday 22 September 2014 to guarantee your place
- If you have any questions please contact National Services Te Paerangi - firstname.lastname@example.org or freephone: 0508 NSTP HELP (0508 678 743).
- The workshop is free to attend
What else do I need to know?
- Bring a pen and paper to take notes
- Bring your lunch (morning & afternoon tea will be provided)
- Please be aware that your photo may be taken during the workshop, and photos may be used for National Services Te Paerangi purposes.
- If you are being assessed for this unit standard, you will be required to complete some pre-course work (details will be emailed to participants on registration). It is also recommended that you come to the assessment having completed the tasks in your workbook.