This National Services Te Paerangi workshop is in collaboration with ATTTO - Aviation Tourism & Travel Training Organisation and will assist ATTTO trainees and museum staff to understand security in a broader context.
This will cover:
ATTTO Unit Standard: 20547 Demonstrate knowledge of safety and security required in museums
Day 1: (9:30am – 4:30pm) Security in Museums workshop
- Tools for developing and testing your emergency management plan
- An overview of security systems and their various uses
- Identifying suspicious activity and interpreting body language
- Dealing with bomb threats and protest activity
- Managing aggressive people
- Techniques to protect you and your colleagues
- Exploring the insider threat
- Simple steps for protecting your assets
- How to cordon and contain damaged exhibition items
- Report writing and questioning techniques
- An overview of the Trespass Act
Day 2: Assessment of above unit standard. Attendance only required by those enrolled as an ATTTO trainee.
Who will I meet?
- Andrew Hunter is the Security Manager at Te Papa. He is responsible for managing the security team and overseeing the security of Te Papa’s collections. Andrew and his team also provide security coverage for Te Papa's collections while in transit and works with borrowing institutions in carrying out site surveys and offering security advice. Prior to joining Te Papa Andrew spent 14 years co-ordinating security operations at Parliament. Andrew uses humour and examples from his own experiences to relay information and encourages audience participation. This interactive workshop covers a variety of security related topics and allows time for practical exercises and question & answer sessions.
- You will also meet other museum personnel in your region – a great networking opportunity!
Who is it for?
- This is an introductory level workshop which gives ATTTO trainees and representatives from small museums, art galleries, heritage organisations, the arts and cultural sector, iwi organisations an great opportunity to learn more about security for museums.
- NB: If you are completing the ATTTO assessment on day two, you will need to be familiar with the content and concepts in the unit workbook before attending this session.
How do I sign up?
- Register online by clicking the registration button below
- If you have any queries, please contact National Services Te Paerangi - firstname.lastname@example.org or freephone: 0508 NSTP HELP (0508 678 743).
- Please register by Thursday 28 March 2013
- The workshop is free to attend.
What else do I need to know?
- Bring a pen and paper to take notes
- Bring your lunch (morning & afternoon tea will be provided)
- Please be aware that your photo may be taken during the workshop, and photos may be used for National Services Te Paerangi purposes.