Southern Curators Seminar
16-18 October 2014
Southland Museum & Art Gallery, Invercargill and Eastern Southland Gallery, Gore
The 5th Southern Curator’s Seminar for Museum Professionals working in Smaller Museums, organised by Southland Museum & Art Gallery Niho o Te Taniwha, Eastern Southland Gallery, and South Canterbury Museum.
What is it?: A three-day seminar, networking opportunity and behind the scenes tours for paid workers in smaller museums (1-8 staff), where attendees can:
- Deliver or listen to short presentations, up to 20 minutes long, on subjects of interest to the sector, at the Southland Museum & Art Gallery Niho o te Taniwha. Presentations could include, but not limited to, collections, exhibitions, collaborations, buildings, and technology.
- Discuss issues of mutual interest.
- Meet colleagues, network, share knowledge and exchange ideas.
- Visit Te Hikoi Southern Journey for a behind the scenes tour and afternoon tea (3pm, Thursday 16 October).
- Attend an art fundraising auction and quiz night in Gore to experience alternative fundraising opportunities and buy some art (7pm, Friday 17 October).
- Visit the Eastern Southland Gallery and the Hokonui Moonshine Museum for a behind the scenes tour of the Gore Heritage and Arts Precinct, and some whiskey tasting (10am, Saturday 18 October).
Who should attend? Anyone working in a fulltime or nearly fulltime paid capacity, particularly in smaller museums (1-8 staff), or providing services to this part of the museum sector. You can come from anywhere in New Zealand, enjoy southern hospitality and the chance to meet new colleagues.
Because of limited space, places are initially restricted to two staff per institution if registered by 26 September 2014, with additional places available for others after this date. The organisers reserve the right to allocate spaces according to relevance and need..
Cost: Likely to be around $125 - $150 per person (includes morning/afternoon teas, lunch, any venue costs, etc.)
Want to come? For more information or a registration form email Tracey Wedge at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 03 219 9064.
Want to give a presentation? Please indicate if you would like to talk about a relevant topic.
Accommodation: Homesteadvilla Motel in Invercargill is supporting the seminar by offering fantastic rates on their rooms. The special rate is $110 for a studio one bedroom unit for 1 or 2 people, $140 for a two bedroom unit for 2 people, + $25 each extra person. Walking distance to the Southland Museum & Art Gallery Niho o te Taniwha. Homesteadvilla Motel offer a cooked or continental breakfast.
Gore is a 45 minute drive north from Invercargill. Travel options are still being finalised. It will be possible to stay in Gore on Friday 17 October, following the fundraising auction, to reduce travelling for the Saturday morning tour in Gore. More information to follow.
Some financial assistance for travel and accommodation may be available via a Travel Subsidy Grant from National Services Te Paerangi.