Ticking the boxes: legal requirements in the museum sector
11 September 2012
, 9am – 4pm
The Kauri Museum, 5 Church Road
$20 pay on the day
This will cover:
The main compliance requirements for museums and also show how you can be more efficient in dealing with your responsibilities. Like all businesses, museums face compliance tasks which ensure the activities undertaken by your organisation meet legal and regulatory requirements. This not only protects you as a museum, but also protects your visitors, customers, staff and suppliers.
- tax requirements and employing staff
- the rights of consumers
- compliance with the Charitable Trust Act 1957, the Arms Act 1983, the Privacy Act 1993, Public Records Act 2005, etc
- knowing what is objectionable by definition under the Films, Videos and Publications Act 1993
Who will I meet?
- Compliance specialist David Woodings. David has been associated with museum / heritage organisations over the past 30 years, working in a variety of capacities from exhibition curation and design to collection management, and from directing a small provincial museum to a major regional museum and art gallery. He has been associated with NSTP programmes as a member of the standards sector reference group which developed the NZ Museum Standards Scheme, and delivered Forward Planning workshops for NSTP across NZ. At a governance level he has been a board member of a number of museum / heritage organisations, and is currently acting as an external marker for the Massey University Museum Studies programme.
- You will also meet other museum personnel in your region – a great networking opportunity!
Who is it for?
- This is an introductory level workshop which gives representatives from small museums, art galleries, heritage organisations, the arts and cultural sector, and iwi organisations the opportunity to learn and ask more about compliance.
How do I sign up?
- Register online by clicking the registration button below.
- If you have any questions, please contact National Services Te Paerangi - firstname.lastname@example.org or freephone: 0508 NSTP HELP (0508 678 743). Please register by Friday 24 August 2012 to ensure a place on this workshop
- The cost of this workshop is $20 to be paid on the day.
What else do I need to know?
- Bring a pen and paper to take notes
- Bring your lunch (morning & afternoon tea will be provided)
- Please be aware that your photo may be taken during the workshop, and photos may be used for National Services Te Paerangi purposes.