From 2001– 2010, the Sculpture Terrace on Level 6 has provided a unique outdoor site for exhibitions at Te Papa. These exhibitions featured ambitious new work by contemporary New Zealand and international artists made in response to the site, with its dramatic views of Wellington city and harbour.
In 2011, Sculpture Terrace exhibitions will be suspended while Te Papa undertakes a strategic review of its exhibition spaces, but you can explore some of the intriguing and challenging works that have enlivened the Sculpture Terrace in recent years.
- Nov 2009–Nov 2010 Paul Cullen, A Garden
- Oct 2008–Nov 2010 Ronnie van Hout, A Loss, Again
- Oct 2008–May 2009 Seung Yul Oh, Oddooki
- Apr 2006–Apr 2008 Michael Parekowhai, The Big OE
- Nov 2006–Jun 2007 Maddie Leach, My Blue Peninsula
- Jul 2005–Feb 2006 Mikala Dwyer, I Maybe We
- Jul 2005–Feb 2006 Sara Hughes, Wish you were here
- 2002 Rachel Chapman, Sunny slight breeze
- 2001–2005 Gregor Kregar, Oko 2
- 2001–2005 Derrick Cherrie, Studio
- 2001–2002 Caroline Rothwell, Shadows (Flowers and weeds)
Learn more about recent projects
A Garden, by Paul Cullen on video
Hear Paul Cullen talking about his work, A Garden.
Learn more about A Garden
A loss, again, by Ronnie van Hout
Ronnie van Hout continues his work addressing ideas of the ‘self’ – how it is formed, and expressed.
Learn more about A loss, again