Edited by: Sean Mallon, Kolokesa Māhina-Tuai, and Damon Salesa
Publication date: May 2012
Order from Te Papa Store
Aotearoa New Zealand is home to a large Pasifika population. This illustrated history is the first of its kind to tell their stories – from the legendary feats of the ancestors of modern Māori, to the politically explosive dawn raids of the 1970s, and beyond.
This beautiful book is lavishly illustrated with hundreds of historical and contemporary photos and archival documents. Drawing on a rich cache of oral history, it is a fresh and surprising record of over a thousand years of discovery, encounter, and cultural exchange.
View sample pages here (PDF 2 MB).
Table of contents
- E kore au e ngaro: Ancestral connections to the Pacific
- Explorers and pioneers: The first Pacific people in New Zealand
- Visitors: Tupaia the navigator priest
- Little-known lives: Pacific Islanders in nineteenth-century New Zealand
- A Pacific destiny: New Zealand’s overseas empire 1840–1945
- Barques, banana boats and Boeings: Connecting New Zealand and the Pacific
- FIA (forgotten in action): Pacific Islanders in the New Zealand armed forces
- A land of milk and honey? Education and employment migration schemes in the postwar era
- Communities and cultures: Pacific organisations in New Zealand
- Economic links between the Pacific and New Zealand in the twentieth century
- All power to the people: Overstayers, dawn raids and the Polynesian Panthers
- Good neighbour, big brother, kin? New Zealand’s foreign policy in the contemporary Pacific
- Representing the nation: Pacific peoples and politicians in New Zealand
- Conspicuous selections: Pacific Islanders in New Zealand sport
- Arts specific: Pacific peoples and New Zealand arts
Hear an interview with editor Sean Mallon on ABC Australian Radio, 1 May 2012.
The three editors speak about the book on TVNZ’s Tangata Pasifika.
Tangata o le Moana: New Zealand and the People of the Pacific has received an award from the Human Rights Commission for positive contribution to race relations.
View the award here.
NZ RRP (incl. GST): $79.99
Extent: 360 pp
Illustrations: More than 300 full-colour plates and black-and-white images
Format: 280 mm x 230 mm