Spend a magical time at StoryPlace, where your preschool children and you can explore museum-related themes through play, games, stories and songs.
StoryPlace runs from Monday to Friday. Activities are led by a friendly Te Papa host and reflect the New Zealand’s Early Childhood Education curriculum.
StoryPlace is designed for children aged 12 months to 5 years. We ask that those over 5 explore the museum with another adult while your preschooler enjoys StoryPlace with you.
Tickets and times
- 10.30am–11.15am (buy ticket by 10.25am)
- 11.30am–12.15pm (buy ticket by 11.25am)
- 1.30pm–2.15pm (buy ticket by 1.25pm)
Buy your tickets from the Information Desk, Level 2
- $2 per preschooler and adult
- Babies under 12 months free but require a ticket
- Secure a date and time by buying tickets early – up to 7 days before a session.
Our host will meet you outside StoryPlace. Please arrive promptly to avoid disappointment.
Book in advance
All of our programmes are linked to the New Zealand Early Childhood Curriculum, Te Whāriki.
Dinosaurs! | Ngā Mokonui!
25 Sep 2014 – 1 Feb 2015
Someone – or something – has been playing in StoryPlace at night! They've left some clues behind … can you help us solve the mystery? Let’s discover more about fossils and dinosaurs together.
Our sessions are very varied, so you might like to come more than once.
Tyrannosaurs – Meet the Family exhibition
Make your preschooler’s birthday extra special! StoryPlace parties include stories, songs, dress-ups, art activities, and face painting – 45 minutes of jam-packed fun followed by a yummy meal at Te Papa Cafe.
- Cost: $100 plus Te Papa Café catering
- Availability: Sat & Sun, during the school term
- Times: 10.30am–11.15am, followed by a one-hour lunch
or 1.30pm–2.15pm, followed by a one-hour lunch (school term only)
- Numbers: 25 people maximum, including children (preschoolers) and adults
- Bookings must be made at least 7 days in advance.
View our food options and the Te Papa Cafe terms and conditions (PDF, 52kB)
Early Childhood Centres and Play Groups
Early Childhood centres and play groups – you can join a public session at the usual cost or book an entire StoryPlace session just for you!
- Cost: $45 for up to 15 children (minimum charge), $3 per extra child. Teachers and accompanying adults free.
- Numbers: 25 people maximum (pre-schoolers and adults)
- Bookings must be made with at least 7 days in advance.
– Awesome that the children had lots of time to explore. Cool idea closing the session with a story. Keep up the great work!
– Good flow for parents to be involved.
– Great length of time, lots of activities.
– Really good that kids can choose what to do and when, and don’t have to sit still all the time.
– Great props and facilitator. Thanks – the kids loved it.
– Very playful and fun. I really enjoyed it!
– Staff are great with kids!
– The programme had lots of variety and was clearly thought through.
– Lots of free active exploration, not too structured.
– It was good at the beginning to have an introduction to the theme and each other. Just long enough. Love the free play and story at end. Just perfect.
– We will be back :)