A special part of Te Papa where preschool children (12 months - 5 years), together with their caregivers, explore museum-related themes together through play and make-believe.
We're excited by developments in Early Childhood Education and are reflecting these with child-led and activity based sessions, facilitated by a trained StoryPlace host. And to top it all off, all the stories and songs we love now round out the end of each and every session.
Costs and buying tickets
StoryPlace is an area exclusively for 5s and under. We ask that older siblings enjoy exploring the rest of the museum with an adult, while your preschooler enjoys their StoryPlace session. Please note that a caregiver must remain with the child while they participate in their StoryPlace session.
Tickets are sold no later than 5 minutes before the start time of the session.
- $2 per person – children (preschoolers) and adults.
- Children under 12 months are free but still require a ticket. Buy your tickets at the Information Desk, Level 2.
- To secure your place, purchase your tickets in advance. You can buy tickets as early as 7 days before a session
- Groups of 10 people or more can request a booking online. (Please note, we have very limited availability for group bookings for the Matariki programme.)
Ticket sales stop five minutes prior to each session starting. Please meet outside StoryPlace five minutes before the session begins. Sessions begin promptly, so latecomers may miss out!
- 10.30am - 11.15am (buy ticket by 10.25am at the latest)
- 11.30am - 12.15pm (buy ticket by 11.25am at the latest)
- 1.30pm - 2.15pm (by ticket by 1.25pm at the latest)
All of our programmes are linked to the New Zealand Early Childhood curriculum, Te Whāriki.
25 Sept 2014 - 1 Feb 2015
Dinosaurs! | Ngā mokonui!
Have you heard that museum objects come to life at night?
Well...something has been playing in StoryPlace - and it's left it's marks behind! Can you help us solve the mystery?
Let's discover more about palaeontology and dinosaurs together!
Make your child’s birthday extra special! StoryPlace parties include stories, songs, dress-ups, art activities, and face painting – 45 minutes of jam-packed fun followed by a yummy meal at Te Papa Cafe.
- Cost: $100 plus Te Papa Cafe catering
- Times: 10.30am–11.15am or 1.30pm–2.15pm, plus a 1-hour lunch (school term only)
- Numbers: 25 people maximum, including children (preschoolers) and adults
- Bookings: 7 days in advance
Book a birthday party now
View our food options and the Te Papa Cafe terms and conditions (PDF, 52kB)
Early Childhood centres and play groups
Early Childhood centres and play groups, you can join a public session at the usual cost or book an entire StoryPlace session just for you.
Request a StoryPlace booking now
- Cost: $45 for up to 15 children (minimum charge), $3 per extra child. Teachers and accompanying adults free.
- Numbers: 25 people maximum.
- Bookings must be made with at least 7 days in advance.
- Perfect for each child of whatever age
- Good flow for parents to be involved
- Great length of time, lots of activities
- Awesome that the children had lots of time to explore. Cool idea closing the session with a story. Keep up the great work!
- Really good kids can choose what to do and when, not have to sit still all the time
- Great props and faciliator. Thanks - the kids loved it.
- Very playful and fun. I really enjoyed it!
- Staff are great with kids!
- The programme had lots of variety and was clearly thought through
- Lots of free active exploration, not too structured
- It was good at the beginning to have an introduction to the theme and each other. Just long enough. Love the freeplay and story at end. Just perfect.
-We will be back :)