Spend a magical time at StoryPlace, where your preschool children and you can explore museum-related themes through play, games, stories and songs.
StoryPlace runs from Monday to Friday. Activities are led by a friendly Te Papa host and reflect New Zealand’s Early Childhood Education curriculum.
StoryPlace will be moving to the PlaNet Pasifika Discovery Centre on 17 August for the new Pasifika programme to celebrate Pacific language weeks and will run there till 6 November.
StoryPlace is designed for children aged 12 months to 5 years. We ask that those over 5 explore the museum with another adult while your preschooler enjoys StoryPlace with you.
Tickets and times
To check availability for sessions, phone: (04) 381 7000
- 10.30am–11.15am (purchase tickets by 10.25am)
- 11.30am–12.15pm (purchase tickets by 11.25am)
- 1.30pm–2.15pm (purchase tickets by 1.25pm)
Buy your tickets from the Information Desk, Level 2
- $2 per preschooler and $2 per adult
- Babies under 12 months free but require a ticket
- Secure a date and time by buying tickets early – up to 7 days before a session.
Our host will meet you outside venue. Please arrive promptly to avoid disappointment.
Sessions take a maximum of 25 people (preschoolers and adults). It is not uncommon for sessions to sell out quickly.
Prams, pushchairs, scooters, and bikes
Prams and pushchairs can be parked in the stroller park just outside StoryPlace for the duration of the session.
For health and safety reasons we are unable to accept prams, pushchairs, scooters, bikes, or tricycles in Coat and Bag.
Scooters/bikes/tricycles are unable to be taken into the museum, please use the bike or scooter park outside the museum to store these items; you will need to bring your own lock.
Current Programme - Celebrating Pasifika
All of our programmes are linked to the New Zealand Early Childhood Curriculum, Te Whāriki.
17 Aug - 6 Nov 2015
Join us in the PlaNet Pasifika Discovery Centre, L4
Revel in all things Pasifika! Sew a tīvaevae or design your own tapa cloth. Explore making rhythms with drums. Go on an imaginative fishing expedition, or handle real pandanus and coconut husk. Dance, sing, and hear Pasifika myths and legends.
Contribute to the decoration of our vaka (canoe) too, which will go on display in Te Papa after the programme.
For this programme, StoryPlace is moving to the PlaNet Pasifika Discovery Centre – the perfect location!
Celebrating Pasifika has been developed with members of our local Pacific communities. Special focus will be given to each community during their language week. Groups whose language week has already passed have a week dedicated to them as well:
- 17 Aug – 21 Aug: Cook Islands Māori
- 31 Aug – 4 Sept: Tongan
- 14 Sept – 18 Sept: Samoan
- 28 Sept – 2 Oct: Tuvaluan
- 5 Oct – 9 Oct: Fijian
- 12 Oct – 16 Oct: Niuean
- 26 Oct – 30 Oct: Tokelauan
Normal StoryPlace pricing applies: $2 per preschooler and $2 per adult
12 months and under - free of charge, but still need a ticket
Visit the Discovery Centres
Make your pre-schooler’s birthday extra special. Our popular StoryPlace parties include stories, songs, dress-ups, and art activities – 45 minutes of jam-packed fun!
Afterwards, enjoy a birthday meal at Te Papa Cafe (this is optional and extra costs apply).
Book a birthday party
- Cost: $100, plus Te Papa Café catering (this is optional and extra costs apply, see below for catering options).
- Availability: Saturdays and Sundays only, excludes school holiday periods.
- Times: 10:30am–11:15am or 1:30pm–2:15pm.
Your meal at the Te Papa Café will be directly after your StoryPlace session, and it will be for 1 hour.
- Number of attendees: 25 maximum (includes children and adults).
- Age group: Sessions cater for children under 5 years old.
- Bookings: Must be made at least 7 days in advance.
Book a birthday party
You can select one of the following themes for your party:
- or Transport.
Book a birthday party
Early Childhood Centres and Play Groups
Early Childhood centres and play groups – you can join a public session at the usual cost or book an entire StoryPlace session just for you!
- Cost: $45 for up to 15 children (minimum charge), $3 per extra child. Teachers and accompanying adults free.
- Numbers: 25 people maximum (pre-schoolers and adults)
- Bookings must be made with at least 7 days in advance.
– Awesome that the children had lots of time to explore. Cool idea closing the session with a story. Keep up the great work!
– Good flow for parents to be involved.
– Great length of time, lots of activities.
– Really good that kids can choose what to do and when, and don’t have to sit still all the time.
– Great props and facilitator. Thanks – the kids loved it.
– Very playful and fun. I really enjoyed it!
– Staff are great with kids!
– The programme had lots of variety and was clearly thought through.
– Lots of free active exploration, not too structured.
– It was good at the beginning to have an introduction to the theme and each other. Just long enough. Love the free play and story at end. Just perfect.
– We will be back :)