Spend a magical time in StoryPlace!
A special part of Te Papa where preschool children (12 months-5 years), together with their caregivers, explore museum-related themes together through play and make-believe.
We're excited by developments in Early Childhood Education and are reflecting these with child-led and activity based sessions, facilitated by a trained StoryPlace host. And to top it all off, all the stories and songs we love now round out the end of each and every session.
These aren't the only developments we are excited about! Check out the information below to see what else is new from 7 Feb 2014.
Costs and buying tickets
Our new reduced prices make this experience accessible to more families and caregivers with under 5s.
- $2 per person – children (preschoolers) and adults.
- Children under 12 months are free but still require a ticket.
Buy your tickets at the Information Desk, Level 2.
We recommend that you:
- To secure your spot, come in early to purchase your ticket. You can buy tickets as early as 7 days before a session, but no later than 5 minutes before the start time.
- Groups of 10 or more can book online now
If attendance of an older sibling is necessary, they must be no older than 6 years.
Please meet outside StoryPlace prior to the starting time. Sessions begin promptly, so latecomers may miss out.
All our programmes are linked to the New Zealand Early Childhood curriculum, Te Whāriki
10 April - 3 June 2014
Come and explore the world of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) with us!
What can you discover and create?
6 June - 3 August 2014 - Matariki
Make your child’s birthday extra special! StoryPlace parties include stories, songs, dress-ups, art activities, and face painting – 45 minutes of jam-packed fun followed by a yummy meal at Te Papa Cafe.
- Cost: $100 plus Te Papa Cafe catering
- Times: 10.30am–11.15am or 1.30pm–2.15pm, plus a 1-hour lunch (school term only)
- Numbers: 25 people maximum, including children (preschoolers) and adults
- Bookings: 7 days in advance
Book a birthday party now
View our food options and the Te Papa Cafe terms and conditions (PDF, 52kB)
Early Childhood centres and play groups
Early Childhood centres and play groups, you can join a public session at the usual cost or book an entire StoryPlace session just for you.
Book your own StoryPlace session
- Cost: $45 for up to 15 children (minimum charge), $3 per extra child. Teachers and accompanying adults free.
- Numbers: 25 people maximum.
- Bookings: 7 days in advance.
- Perfect for each child of whatever age
- Good flow for parents to be involved
- Great length of time, lots of activities
- Awesome that the children had lots of time to explore. Cool idea closing the session with a story. Keep up the great work!
- Really good kids can choose what to do and when, not have to sit still all the time
- Great props and faciliator. Thanks - the kids loved it.
- Very playful and fun. I really enjoyed it!
- Staff are great with kids!
- The programme had lots of variety and was clearly thought through
- Lots of free active exploration, not too structured
- It was good at the beginning to have an introduction to the theme and each other. Just long enough. Love the freeplay and story at end. Just perfect.
-We will be back :)