Māori Arts – primary education visitToi Māori – he toronga kura tuatahi
Explore the diverse toi Māoritoi Māori Māori arts and create an artwork inspired by what you’ve seen. Available Term 3, 2016.
- Learning areas and strands The Arts – Understanding the Arts in Context; Developing Practical Knowledge; Developing Ideas; Communicating and Interpreting. Social Sciences – Identity, Culture and Organisation; Continuity and Change
- Duration 60 minutes
- Suitable for Year levels 1–8
- Next available Term 3 - 2016
- Cost $6.50 per student (teachers and parent helpers go free)
The education programme
Guided by our educators, your primary school students will:
- experience Te Papa’s magnificent collection of Māori taongataonga treasures
- understand the special significance of toi Māoritoi Māori Māori arts in Māori culture
- investigate the meanings of symbols and patterns used in kōwhaiwhai (painted scroll ornamentation), tukutuku (woven lattice work), and whakairo (carving)
- sketch your favourite Māori designs and patterns to take back to school to create your own piece of art. As a class combine your artworks to make a waharoawaharoa gateway.
To make a booking or discuss your visit options contact:
Phone: (04) 381 7443