The Matariki star cluster marks the Aotearoa New Year – a time to let go of the old and welcome the new. It's also thought to determine the success of the coming season’s crops – the brighter the stars, the warmer the spring, the more productive the land.
Time to start looking more closely at the night sky above you?
This year we’re encouraging you to submit photographs – whether of star trails, beach bonfires beneath stormyclouds, or light painting – that reflect on the theme ‘night sky’.
Photographs will be judged by Te Papa’s photography experts, and the winner will be rewarded with a behind the scenes look in our photography store with our Curator of Photography.
Send your entry to email@example.com by 5pm on 29 June, 2017.
Terms & Conditions
- You may submit up to two (2) photographs per person. Photographs entered must be a maximum of 5MB each.
- Entries must include your full name and contact phone number.
- Entries must be the original work and copyright of the submitter.
- Entries will be collated by Te Papa and may be featured on Te Papa’s digital channels and social media accounts, with photographer credit, for competition purposes only.
- The submitter retains full copyright associated with their photograph(s). Photographs will not be reproduced by Te Papa in any way besides that described in (4), distributed or sold.
- Entries must have been taken in Aotearoa New Zealand. There are no date restrictions with regard to when photographs were taken.
- Entries may not be included in the competition if they fall outside the ‘night sky’ theme or contain material unsuitable for social media (recommended age 13+) at the discretion of Te Papa.
- Entries will be judged on Friday June 30 and a winner notified by Friday July 7.