How are we protecting our native wildlife? How can we make our rivers, lakes, and seas healthy again? How are innovative Kiwis tackling the challenges of climate change?
Turn on a torch and catch backyard pests in the act. Lift a hefty longfin tunatuna eel, and meet our many native freshwater ikaika fishes. Open the fridge – can you guess which bottles contain the cleanest natural waiwai water? Journey into the deep, and discover the bizarre creatures that survive there – even 7,500 metres down.
Be inspired by the stories of other Kiwis taking action for the environment, then learn how to hook up with a nature project near you.
- Climate Converter: Your physical actions leave a footprint on this spectacular, immersive space – help create a carbon-zero future.
- Colossal Squid: She’s back, and she’s the only complete specimen on display in the world.
- Eel Adventure: Steer a tunatuna eel across the Pacific and back to Aotearoa and back, overcoming challenges on the way.
- Seabird Capital: Get to know (and smell!) the locals – after all, we’re the seabird capital of the world.
- Albatross Pair: Encounter two of our most majestic specimens, and watch how they woo their mate.
- The Current: Add your voice and help solve our toughest nature challenges.
Friends Takeover: Access All Areas
Friends Takeover: Access All AreasThu 27 Jun 2019, 6.30pm–9.30pm All areas of Te Papa
Te Taiao Whānau Day: Backyard Birds and Bugs
Te Taiao Whānau Day: Backyard Birds and BugsFri 12 Jul 2019, 10.00am–3.00pm Te Papa Hui | Backyard & Bush City Kiosk, Te Taiao | Nature, Level 2
Talk: Tectonics, Tsunamis, and Technology
Talk: Tectonics, Tsunamis, and TechnologySat 20 Jul 2019, 11.00am–12.00pm ICON, Level 2