Te whakarite kaupapa
From setting the date to waving your guests goodbye, find out how to plan the perfect Wellington event. Our team will help you plan a smooth-running conference, wedding, dinner, ball, or meeting.
On this page:
A dedicated Functions Coordinator will help you before, during, and after your event at Te Papa. Rely on our team’s expertise, commitment, and attention to detail to help you plan a successful, hassle-free event.
For large or complex events, you may choose to contract a professional conference organiser or event management company.
Secrets to planning a successful event
- Outline your event: its purpose, your desired outcomes, a theme or feel, and venue requirements such as catering, entertainment, and audiovisual equipment.
- Prepare your budget, allowing for unexpected expenses.
- Pick your date, and check for any clashes with school holidays, public holidays, and local events.
- Select and book your venue early – look for somewhere unique, with good facilities and support.
- Work backwards from your event date and set milestones and deadlines.
- Check and double-check every detail, using a list.
Write a checklist
Great event planners live by their lists. Useful starter points include:
- a complete programme and schedule
- invitations, guest list, or ticketing
- marketing and promotional material
- travel and accommodation
- room layout and displays
- audiovisual (AV) equipment
- health and safety
- packing in and out.
Give them the wow factor. Cultural performances, pōwhiri (welcoming ceremonies), and private tours can help you create a unique, memorable experience for your guests, and professional lighting and theming can make a great event spectacular.
Te Papa Venues offers an excellent range of services and equipment, and works with a variety of quality external suppliers.
Equipment, planning, and services – including pōwhiri and exhibition viewings
Treat your function guests to delicious food and great service from professional caterers at Te Papa.
Select from our extensive range of catering menus, or talk to us to arrange a unique, tailor-made menu perfect for your special event.
Help your guests find their way to your venue.
Parking at Te Papa – talk to your Functions Coordinator to arrange a discounted parking rate for your attendees.
At Te Papa, your guests will be directed by signage at our main entrance, with help from our friendly Hosts. This service is complimentary when you book one of our venues.
Your own, non–Te Papa signage must be positioned inside the doorway of your venue. Further options may be available outside museum hours – talk to your Functions Coordinator to discuss your needs.
You can use feedback to help you learn and improve. Use well-thought-out feedback forms to measure the success of your event and identify areas to improve.
If your guests agree, you can share relevant feedback with our Venues Team.
Find out more about Te Papa Venues.
Phone: +64 (0)4 381 7272