Health and safety
When hiring one of our venues help keep Te Papa a safe place to visit and work by following our health and safety procedures.
- Safety requirements
- Prohibited and restricted items
- Emergencies and evacuation
- Contact us
- follow instructions given by Te Papa staff
- keep fire exits clear
- make sure all electrical gear has had portable appliance testing (PAT) and is tagged
- tape down all electrical cords
- comply with the requirements of the Health and Safety in Employment Act 1992.
You must arrange public liability insurance. Your Functions Coordinator will talk to you about this and can assist you if necessary.
Please don’t smoke at Te Papa. The museum is a non-smoking venue, inside and outside, including on the balconies.
Prohibited items must not be brought to Te Papa. These include:
- flammable liquids or accelerants (eg, petrol, diesel, CNG, and LPG)
- items that produce flames or extreme heat (including candles and cooking appliances)
- smoke machines
- helium balloons.
Restricted items can only be brought to Te Papa with written approval. Please talk to your Functions Coordinator if you wish to bring in:
- potentially offensive material
- weapons or other equipment that could cause harm
- food or beverages (for sale or sample), including coffee machines
- animals, including domestic pets
- any large piece of equipment (over 2 x 2 metres or 30 kilograms).
In the event of an emergency, please follow instructions given by Te Papa staff. They are trained in emergency and evacuation procedures.
Phone: +64 (0)4 381 7272