Children’s Multicultural Festival
Kids, bring your family to an exciting day of global dance and music by children. You can join in crafts, dance, and martial arts workshops too!
- When Mon 5 Jun 2017, 10:15am–4:00pm
Throughout Te Papa – starts in Wellington Foyer, Level 2
- Cost Free event
Enjoy cultural performances from around the world – everywhere from Africa to Aotearoa – this Queen’s Birthday holiday. Have a go at Chinese crafts all day, see a magic show, and try a dance or martial arts workshop.
Presented by the Oriental Cultural and Performing Arts Group and Multicultural Council of Wellington.
All craft workshops are at Te Huka ā Tai Discovery Centre, Level 4.
- 10.30am–12.30pm: Chinese paper cutting and folding
- 10.30am–12.30pm: Chinese painting
- 1pm–4pm: Chinese paper cutting and folding
- 1.15pm–4pm: Chinese calligraphy
All events are at Te Marae, Level 4, except for the opening procession, starting in the Wellington Foyer, Level 2.
- 10.15am–10.30am: Opening procession
- 10.30am–11am: Chinese lion dance
- 11am–11.15am: Kapa haka (Māori performing arts)
- 11.15am–11.30am: Event launch
- 11.30am–11.45am: Violin group and dance
- 11.45am–12pm: Japanese yosakoi dance and taiko drumming
- 12pm–12.15pm: Filipino dance
- 12.15pm–12.30pm: African dance with live music
- 12.30–1pm: Magician Nigel Kennedy
- 1pm–1.15pm: Japanese classical dance
- 1.15pm–1.30pm: Chinese painting demonstration
- 1.30pm–2.15pm: Contemporary dance and workshop
- 2.15pm–2.30pm: Chinese traditional dance and band
- 2.30pm–2.45pm: Cook Islands dance
- 2.45pm-2.50pm: Indian Bharatanatyam dance and Bollywood dance
- 2.50pm-3.05pm: Samoan youth choir
- 3.05pm–3.30pm: Chinese martial arts demonstration and workshop
- 3.30pm–4pm: Closing performance – Chinese choir and dances