The Emergency Services Expo is back!
Come to a family-friendly day of emergency services demonstrations and displays on the waterfront. The emergency services are bringing out their biggest boats and loudest sirens to entertain the school holiday crowds.
Climb aboard a fire truck, watch a car crash rescue demonstration, and talk to the Police dog section about their work.
Watch from the Wellington waterfront as the Police Maritime unit and the Wellington coastguard demonstrate water rescues, and Tiaki tugboat puts on a spectacular water cannon display!
The whole family will enjoy this exhilarating display of public safety.
Highlights from 2017 and 2018's Expo
Please note: Programme is subject to change if any services are needed for an emergency.
11am–12pm, Te Papa Forecourt
- Fire aerial rescue unit
- View an injured passenger being extracted from a vehicle
- Run against the Police speed radar
- See the Dog Section, Armed Offender, and Dive Squads
- Wellington Free Ambulance displays
12–12.50pm, Te Papa Amphitheatre
- High rope rescue from Te Papa roof
- LandSAR (Search and Rescue) display
- See Wellington Emergency Response Team (NZRT8) in action
- Learn how to put out a real fire with Fire & Emergency
- Practice your CPR on a St John mannequin
12.50–2pm, Waterfront Promenade (in front of Te Papa)
- A thrilling water event from Coast Guard
- Tug boat fire-fighting demonstration
- Police Maritime Unit performance
- Get prepared with the Wellington Emergency Response Team
- Life Flight helicopter rescue demonstration
Supervision and photographs
Kids must be accompanied by an adult for all activities.
Filming and photography by Te Papa may take place at this event. The material might be shared online or through social media.
Please let the event manager or a Te Papa host know if you or a child you are responsible for does not wish to be photographed or filmed.
Sign up to our school holidays mailing list and be the first to know about our school holidays events