Holiday Programme: Trash to Tunes Music-Making Workshop
- When Wed 19 Apr 2017, 9:00am–5:00pm
Hīnātore | Learning Lab, Level 4 at Te Papa, and Capital E
- Cost $75. Suitable for ages 9–14. BYO lunch – everything else is provided.
Calling all musical inventers! Kids, come and explore sound, create instruments from recycled materials, and digitally record a music track.
Plus, design an album-cover using your band’s photo, and explore how to add visuals to your track.
9am–12.30pm: At Te Papa:
- investigate the science of sound: sound waves, pitch, vibrations, waveform patterns, vectorscopes
- explore modern and traditional instruments – including Māori and Pacific instruments from Te Papa’s collection
- invent, design, and build your own acoustic/analogue musical instruments from upcycled and found objects and other materials.
Lunch in Frank Kitts Park (or Hīnātore if bad weather)
1.30pm–5pm: At Capital E:
- digitally record your instrument and build a multi-track file using audio-production tools
- create an album cover and explore ways of adding visuals to your music track
- learn about the art of song creation, and explore the limits of what music can be
- show your family or friends what you’ve made!