Japanese Martial Arts Weapons Display
Don’t miss this thrilling demonstration of Japanese martial-arts techniques. Featuring kendō (samurai sword arts), iaidō (the quick drawing of the sword), and the power of the bō staff.
- When Sat 19 Nov 2016, 12:45–1:30pm
- Cost Free
Japan’s martial arts weapons and culture have been refined over hundreds of years. Today, practising martial arts is a way to cultivate the body, mind, and spirit – often referred to as ‘budō’.
Te Papa hosts an exciting display that demonstrates:
- the samurai sword arts of kendō (the way of the sword)
- iaidō (the quick drawing of the sword)
- the unique whirl of the naginata (the Japanese halberd – combined spear and battleaxe)
- the power of the bō staff.