Code Your Own Fireflies
Discover the secret genius of fireflies with a fun code-learning game for kids.
This easy-to-use HTML tool helps kids aged 8–14 learn basic coding skills and the science behind firefly flashes. Code scientifically accurate firefly flash patterns, then watch as the bugs pair up.
The game includes:
- step-by-step instructions for creating simple code
- information about how and why fireflies communicate, and firefly species diversity
- cross-curricular links to The New Zealand Curriculum (Science, and Digital Technologies).
- Go to the Gamefroot website and log in or create an account.
- In the top bar, click on ‘Resources’.
- In the right side bar, click on ‘Bug Lab: Fireflies’ and follow the instructions.
Bug Lab exhibition
This game is inspired by Te Papa’s spectacular Bug Lab exhibition.
Te Papa made this game together with Gamefroot, a resident of our Mahuki innovation incubator.