Everyone at Te Papa is responsible for their health and safety, and for contributing towards the maintenance of a working environment that meets our vision Safety Always.
At the Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa we are committed to Safety Always by ensuring the health, safety, security, and wellbeing of all our teams, visitors to our business, and the items and collections that have been placed in our care.
This commitment underlines our vision of working to ensure that hearts, minds, and lives are only changed in way that promotes positive cultural growth and nurtures healthier behaviours in everyone we interact with.
At the heart of our operation, we hold the values of Hiranga, Manaakitanga, Mātauranga, Kaitiakitanga, and Whanaungatanga as integral components of how we do business and how we tell our stories. We believe that by fostering positive behaviour we can create an environment where everyone’s health and wellbeing, security and safety is considered as core to our values.
We believe that Health, Safety, Security, and Wellbeing is about more than just preventing injuries and illnesses, it is about Safety Always which means:
- Ensuring consistent communication to promote positive behavioural practices;
- Ensuring our team are fit to perform their roles by taking a holistic view and approach to promoting and managing health and wellbeing;
- Nurturing a sense of ownership where each and every individual takes personal responsibility of their own, and others health, wellbeing and safety;
- Establishing a sense of pride in protecting the items, collections and taonga we hold;
- Expanding health and safety behaviours to include our personal and not just our professional lives:
- Learning from our mistakes.
We will foster Safety Always by:
- Providing relevant and effective training to team members across all levels of the business;
- Identifying and managing hazards and risks in consultation with our team;
- Collaborating with our business partners, volunteers, cultural partners and any other stakeholders to establish shared health & safety goals and targets and to overcome roadblocks;
- Developing and maintaining a simple and effective Health, Safety and Security Management System that works for us;
- Establishing a process of review and audit to identify better ways of working to deliver a proactive holistic approach to Health, Safety, Security, and Wellbeing.