Te Papa is an autonomous Crown entity that operates under the Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa Act 1992.
The Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa Act 1992 establishes our purpose:
Te Papa is a forum for the nation to present, explore, and preserve the heritage of its cultures and knowledge of the natural environment in order to:
- better understand and treasure the past
- enrich the present and
- meet the challenges of the future.
The Act also sets out our functions and operating rules.
Our Strategic Narrative sets out our key challenges, aspirations, priorities, and desired outcomes. It drives the development of:
- the strategic intentions and objectives set out in the Statement of Intent
- the planned outputs for the financial year, set out in the Statement of Performance Expectations.
Our Statement of Intent promotes public accountability.
The Statement of Intent reflects:
- our legal responsibilities and operating framework, including functions and vision
- our strategic intentions and objectives for the next four years
- how we will manage our organisational health and capability and improve our performance.
Previous Statements of Intent
Our Statement of Performance Expectations sets out our planned outputs for each financial year.
The Statement of Performance Expectations sets out:
- our goals and proposed performance targets for the next year
- our forecast financial information.
Previous Statements of Performance Expectations
Our Annual Report measures our performance against our Statement of Performance Expectations.
The Annual Report presents:
- statements from management and an overview of the year’s highlights
- our operating framework, including our concept, corporate principles, and functions
- information on our governance and accountability
- our organisational structure
- our statement of service performance
- financial statements.
Previous Annual Reports
Previous Chief Executive and Kaihautū expenses disclosures
Health, safety, and security policy
At the Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa we are committed to Safety Always by ensuring the health, safety, security, and wellbeing of all our teams, visitors to our business, and the items and collections that have been placed in our care.
Read our health, safety, and security policy >
Information release – State Services Commission Inquiry in relation to the use of external security consultants
In Aug 2018, we responded to an inquiry initiated by the State Services Commission into the use of external security consultants by State services agencies. This is our response.