Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa
55 Cable Street, PO Box 467
Directions: How to get to Te Papa
In central Wellington you’re rarely more than 20 minutes’ walk from Te Papa. You’ll find us on the waterfront, right in the heart of Wellington.
Enjoy a five-minute stroll from the Wellington i-SITE Visitor Information Centre, or a 20-minute walk from the railway station. Many bus stops in the city are just a few minutes’ walk away too.
Most Wellington buses (including those from the airport and railway station) stop along Courtenay Place and Willis Street. From these stops, it’s just a few minutes’ walk to Te Papa.
Private tour and ‘hop on, hop off’ buses stop outside the museum.
Metlink bus routes and timetables
Parking at Te Papa for tour coaches and buses
By bike or kick scooter
The waterfront around Te Papa is bicycle and kick scooter friendly. Please don’t bring them inside the museum but park your bike or kick scooter at our racks – found behind Quake Braker, near our main entrance. We loan out padlocks for scooters and skateboards free of charge. Speak to a Host in the Entrance Foyer when you arrive.
Parking at Te Papa
From Wellington Railway Station it’s a 20-minute walk to Te Papa. Alternatively, you can catch a bus or taxi nearby.
Metlink train routes and timetables
Take the Aotea Quay exit when driving south into central Wellington along the SH1 motorway. Continue along Waterloo, Customhouse, and Jervois Quays, which lead directly into Cable Street and Te Papa’s convenient car park.
Parking at Te Papa
Wellington Combined Taxis have a stand outside Te Papa.
From the cruise ship terminal
Shuttle bus from the terminal
Your cruise ship may run a shuttle bus to the Wellington i-SITE Visitor Information Centre. From there it’s just five minutes’ walk to Te Papa via the waterfront.
Walk from the terminal
On a fine day, enjoy a 30- to 45-minute stroll along the beautiful Wellington waterfront, straight from the cruise ship terminal. Simply follow the harbour’s edge and you can’t miss us.
From the airport
You can catch a taxi or Airport Flyer bus from Wellington Airport to Te Papa, or follow the directions below to drive here.
Driving to Te Papa from Wellington Airport
Driving time: About 15 minutes
- Follow SH1, turning left along Cobham Drive.
- At the Evans Bay Parade lights, turn right. Continue around the harbour and along Oriental Parade.
- Turn right into Wakefield Street.
- Turn right into Taranaki Street, then right again into Cable Street. Te Papa’s car park is on your left.
Visit Te Papa staff
Our staff are based at two main Wellington locations.
- Most of our staff work at 55 Cable Street. When visiting us here, please use the Te Papa' staff entrance. From the museum entrance, walk east towards the carpark. Continue towards the car park exit and you will find the entrance to Team Te Papa on the left.
- Our zoologists, conservators, and archivists work at 169 Tory Street.