Cook Islands Language Week resourceTe ’Epetoma o te reo Māori Kūki ’Āirani
Learn Cook Islands Māori words, phrases, and pronunciation, and explore aspects of Cook Islands Māori culture.
- Learning areas and strands Social Sciences, Arts, Learning Languages
- Education type Education resource
- Suitable for Cook Islands Māori and non-Cook Islands Māori speakers of all ages
- Te Whāriki Belonging | Mana Whenua, Communication | Mana Reo
Cook Islands Language Week: Sunday 31 July – Saturday 6 August 2016
Use this year’s theme to celebrate Cook Islands Māori Language Week:
Kia āriki au i tōku tupuranga, ka ora uatu rai tōku reo | To embrace my heritage, my language lives on
The resource includes:
- an exploration of the theme, which relates to family, culture and spirituality
- reo Māori Kūki ’Āirani pronunciation support and access to helpful words and phrases
- activity ideas, and tua (story) and ‘īmene (song) resources
- details of how to take part in a nation-wide initiative to recognise reo Māori Kūki ’Āirani Champions (Cook Islands Māori Language Champions).
This education resource was co-created by Te Papa and the Ministry for Pacific Peoples.
Image credit: Tivaevae, 1980, Cook Islands, by Mere Tapaeru Tereora. Purchased 2002. Te Papa (FE011717)