You can pay with cash, EFTPOS, or credit card (Amex, Mastercard, or Visa). All fees go towards supporting the museum.
Daytime, 8am – 5pm
- $4 per hour, up to a maximum of $30
- Lost ticket fee: $40
Evening and overnight
- 5pm – 8am: $2 per hour (up to $8 when exiting before 2am, or up to $24 before 8am)
- 24-hour maximum: $40
- Lost ticket fee: $40
How to pay
At the entry gate take a ticket, or alternatively use your credit card (New Zealand cards only) to enter the car park (no ticket is required if you use your credit card to enter the car park).
When you go to exit the car park:
- If you used your credit card to enter the car park, use the same credit card at the exit gate. Please take a receipt to lift the exit barrier arm.
- If you took a ticket to enter the car park, either go to a pay station and use cash, EFTPOS, or credit card to pay and then drive to the exit gate and present your ticket, or, if you have a credit card, you can go straight to the exit, insert your parking ticket and then use your credit card to pay for your parking at the exit gate.
Parking for longer than 24 hours is not permitted. We will clamp or tow your vehicle at your cost.
Parking for visitors with disabilities
Park close to our ground-floor entrance at one of five accessible car park spaces:
- two uncovered
- three covered.
See the parking map above. Parking cannot be reserved in advance.
Access and facilities for people with disabilities
If the length of your campervan is less than 6.5 metres you will be able to fit into one of our standard carpark spaces – please note that we do not have a designated parking area for campervans. Due to the height restrictions of the undercover car park you will only be able to park your campervan outside.
Parking cannot be reserved.
Bicycles and scooters
You can park your bicycle or scooter at our racks near our main entrance. We loan out padlocks for scooters free of charge. Speak to a Host in the Entrance Foyer when you arrive.
Motorcycles and motor scooters
Parking is available near the exit to our covered car park.
Tour and school buses
Park your tour coach or school bus in our bus lane for free while your group visits Te Papa.
- Parking cannot be reserved.
- Buses cannot park overnight in the bus lane.
Drop-offs and pick-ups
Use the designated area at our main Cable Street entrance.
Parking terms and conditions
- You must follow any directions you are given, either personally or on signs, notices, or road markings.
- You must pay the charge we set for parking on our property.
- At your expense, we may tow, clamp, or move your vehicle if it is parked in breach of these conditions. This includes being parked on or over a yellow line, or in a manner which obstructs any other vehicle or access way.
- If after 30 days you have not paid the costs of removing and storing your vehicle, we may sell it and its contents to pay those costs.
- The longest you may park your vehicle in the car park is 24 hours, unless you have made earlier arrangements with us. If you leave your vehicle for longer than 24 hours, we may tow it at your cost.
- If your vehicle has been clamped or towed away, on payment of the penalty fee, we will release it to any person who produces a car park ticket issued by us, or some other evidence of ownership that is satisfactory to us.
- Your vehicle must have a current warrant of fitness and motor vehicle registration. It must be roadworthy and not present a danger to other vehicles, persons, or property.
- You park at your own risk. We are not liable for any injury to you or any other person or for loss or damage to property.
- You are liable for any damage to the car park caused by your vehicle.
- You must indemnify us against any claim or loss we suffer as a result of your use of our property or that of any person you are responsible for.
Definitions in these conditions
- Cost – includes any fees or charges that we incur or that are charged by us, including GST.
- Damage – includes direct, indirect, consequential, and special demands.
- Vehicle – means any motor vehicle (including accessories and contents) of the kind permitted in the car park, as described in the conditions.
- We, our, and us – means the Museum New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa Board and includes its employees, agents, and independent contractors.
- You – means the driver of a vehicle entering this car park.