What to expect at Te Papa
Getting to Te Papa
Te Papa is at 55 Cable Street, on Wellington’s waterfront.
There are many ways to get to Te Papa.
- Walk: It’s easy to walk from the city centre to the museum.
- Bus: Most buses stop along Courtenay Place and Willis Street. Te Papa is just a few minutes’ walk away.
- Train: It takes 20 minutes to walk along the waterfront from the station to Te Papa.
- Taxis: Wellington Combined Taxis have a stand outside Te Papa.
- Bikes and kick scooters: We have bike and scooter racks. Borrow a scooter padlock for free at the coat and bag check.
Read more about getting here
Enter the car park on Cable Street, by Circa Theatre.
Park for $4 per hour. You can pay with cash, EFTPOS, debit card, or most credit cards.
At the entry gate, take a ticket or use your credit card.
To exit, visitors with tickets pay at the pay station. Credit card holders can pay there or at the exit gate.
Using the undercover car park between 8pm and 7am? Press the intercom button by the closed gate. Our Security team will let you in.
The exit gate opens automatically.
To enter Te Papa from the car park, walk through the gap in the grey wall, towards Circa Theatre.
Read more about parking at Te Papa
In an emergency
If the building is evacuated, red lights on the ceiling will flash in major exhibitions and in most toilets. Alarms will also sound. Hosts will guide you to the nearest emergency exit.
Rules at Te Papa
We have a few rules to protect our treasures:
- Please don’t eat or drink in the museum. You can buy food and drinks at our two cafes, but please don’t take them into other spaces. You can eat your own snacks and lunch outdoors at the Amphitheatre.
- You are allowed to take photos, except where you see signs. No flash photography or tripods, please.
- Most objects can’t be touched. Signs tell you when you can touch.