Tongan Language Week resourceUike Kātoanga'i 'o e Lea faka-Tonga
Tongan Language Week takes place 4–10 Sep. Download our resource and learn Tongan words, phrases, and pronunciation, and explore aspects of Tongan culture.
- Learning areas and strands Social Sciences, Arts, Learning Languages
- Education type Education resource
- Suitable for Tongan and non-Tongan speakers of all ages
- Te Whāriki Belonging | Mana Whenua, Communication | Mana Reo
Use this year’s theme to celebrate Tongan Language Week:
Fakakoloa Aotearoa ‘aki e Loto ‘i Tonga | Enriching New Zealand with the spirit of Tonga
The resource includes:
- an exploration of the theme, which relates to identity, love, respect and humility
- Lea faka-Tonga pronunciation support and access to helpful words and phrases
- activity ideas, and resources
- details of how to take part in a nation-wide initiative to recognise Lea faka-Tonga Champions (Tongan Language Champions).
This education resource was co-created by Te Papa and the Ministry for Pacific Peoples.